Acceptable Visa Types

Are you a visa holder that resides in the US? Well, if you hold one of the acceptable visa types below, then you’re in luck!

What kind of visa do I need to open a tastytrade account?

Currently, our clearing firm (Apex) accepts the following visa types below. If you do not see your visa type listed in the visa type dropdown when filling out an application, unfortunately, our clearing firm does not support the visa type.

Our accounts team may reach out by email to verify your visa after submitting your application and when it is about to expire. You may send our accounts team your visa document by replying to them via email or request a secure upload portal by writing to

Visas currently accepted

  • E Visas (E-1, E-2, and E-3): Temporary Workers
  • F-1: Student Visa
  • L-1: Temporary Workers
  • H1-B: Specialty Occupations
  • TN-1: TN NAFTA Professionals
  • O-1: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
Customers that only hold an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) are not accepted. However, F-1 visa holders with an EAD in tandem who are awaiting an H1-B may open a tastytrade account using their F-1 visa.