Looking to trade futures in your margin account ("The Works")? If so, please continue below to learn more about:
- Eligible Accounts
- Eligibility Requirements
- Account Minimums
- Application Processing Times
- Instructions to Enable Futures
Which kind of account types can trade futures?
Only margin accounts can trade futures
You must have a margin account to trade futures. Cash accounts are not eligible for futures trading. Individual, joint, entity (S-Corp, C-Corp, LLC, Partnership, or Trust), and international accounts may use our online application to apply for futures trading. IRA accounts wishing to enable futures, please click here.
What do I need to trade futures?
You must have our highest margin level, The Works
The account must have our highest margin level, The Works, to be eligible for futures trading. If you have a margin account that has The Works, then please follow the instructions below. When your trading account is enabled for futures, then no further action is needed to trade options on futures. If you have a margin account but do not have The Works then click here to learn how to upgrade your trading level.
Is there a minimum to trade futures?
Must satisfy the overnight or SPAN margin requirement
There is no minimum account balance to trade futures. However, your account must satisfy the overnight requirement to trade an outright futures contract. On the other hand, when trading options on futures, you must fulfill the SPAN margin requirement. To view a table of available futures contracts, as well as the overnight requirements, then please click here.
How long does it take to be approved for futures trading?
1-2 business days
2-3 business days
3-5 business days
2-3 business days
How do I apply for futures trading?
Enabling futures starts with signing into your account at tastyworks.com
- Once you log into your account at tastyworks.com, you will see a green ENABLE button located immediately to the left of each eligible account. Click on the “Enable” button to proceed to the futures application.*If you do not see this button then your browser may be caching old page data. To force refresh and clear your cache the keyboard shortcuts below will refresh your page.
PC: CTRL + Shift + R
Mac: Cmd (⌘) + Shift + R
- The futures application comprises of four parts: Futures Trading Experience, Additional Futures Questions, Important Documents, and Agreements. Select your experience level (Limited, Good, or Extensive), answer the Additional Futures Questions by clicking “Yes” or “No,” download/view the Important Documents for your reference, and Agree to the Agreements below (outlined in red). The "Enable Futures Trading" button will illuminate green once the Future Application is properly filled out.
- After clicking on “Enable Futures Trading,” you will receive a prompt acknowledging that your application has been submitted.
- After clicking “CLOSE” on the prompt, you will return to the landing page where you will see your account marked as “Processing.”
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail from our accounts team once your trading account is approved and enabled to trade futures.